Monday 9 March 2009

Back into training world

The last few weeks have been a steady decline in the volume of training due to work, culminating in last week when I couldn't do any training and even gave up commuting on the bike. The previous week I had ended up riding home at midnight most nights and was getting more and more tired so thought it was probably sensible to give that a miss.

I always knew I was going to be busy at this time so wasn't too worried about the training aspect in the grand scheme of things. I still manged to get out for a couple of hours last Saturday morning before going into work and then ran into London on the Sunday.

I got through the worst of the work by about 7.30pm on Friday so this weekend I was able to get back into it.

I'm still trying to ride long on Saturday followed by a short run and then a short ride on Sunday followed by a long run. Saturday was ok, did a 4.5 hour ride in the hills, and thought the run was going to be hell but did my 40 minutes without too much trouble.

This morning was much harder, did a 45 min easy ride first thing and then set out for a 2 hour run. I found that really tough, pace was well down from my previous long runs but I suppose that is to be expected given that I am riding before hand now as well rather than being fresh.

I'm quite worried about this whole Ironman thing to be honest, I'm not sure that I quite feel prepared for the pain and suffering that I am going to go through on the actual day but am hoping that the next 16 weeks or so of training will help me feel more prepared.

On the positive side, the fund raising is going well. I've received and paid over the additional £500 that work gave me to match my fundraising and I am now up to £1,165. I got a nice letter through from the founder of the charity thanking me for what I was doing which was nice.

I'm hoping to get back into full training this week, should probably get back into the swimming pool as I haven't swam in a few weeks which is a pain as I felt as though that was just starting to come together a bit.

Can't believe that it is under 4 months to go now, have 2 races in 2 weekends coming up which I am looking forward to, and then I just have the half Ironman in Barcelona planned before Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment