Monday 16 March 2009

Brooklyn's first outing of the year

Spring seems to have sprung over here at the moment (hoping that comment is not tempting fate) so this weekend was a first for the new year, the race bike got a bit of fresh air on my long ride on Saturday. I had my set up looked at as I haven't been 100% happy with it so far, that has been fine for Olympic distance races where I am only riding for just over an hour but I need to make sure that I am comfortable for long periods so spent some time with the guy in the bike shop making small adjustments. Feels pretty good now, but time will tell.

With work having slowed down this week was a much better training week, I got in over 14 hours of training on top of my commuting into work. This weekend was tough going, with a 60 min run off my long bike ride on Saturday. I actually felt ok, had made an effort to eat more on the bike so that I would have some energy left and that seemed to pay off, luckily I took some more gels out with me on the run as I was getting through them pretty quickly at that point but my stomach didn't seem to complain which is a good sign. Long run on Sunday was very slow but I'm not too worried about that.

I'm looking forward to racing this weekend, hoping that the weather stays fine. The end of this week will be the halfway point in my build up, I'm happy with the training so far, would like to have been further on with my core strength and flexibility but will keep trying to motivate myself to fit that stuff in as well.

I had a box load of t-shirts arrive from the Charity last week for the support crew who are coming to Austria, they look pretty good. Have also ordered the kit I am going to be wearing to race in so things seem to be coming together.

Training totals for last week were as follows:

Swim - 1 hour 22 min - 3.7km (2.3miles)
Bike - 12 hours 51 minutes - 336.9km (210.6 miles)
Run - 5 hours 47 min - 65.9km (41.2 miles)

Very happy with that, managed to run 5 times last week, which was one of my main goals, I know that I have benefited in the past from running regularly rather than just trying to run a high volume of km's so I am going to try and stick to 4-5 runs per week from here on in. Swimming wasn't great last week as I started the week with a cold so only managed 25 minutes in the pool on Monday before I felt dizzy so thought it best to get out!

No comments:

Post a Comment