Sunday 31 August 2008

A brief history...

So how did I end up here? Well, I left for Melbourne a bit overweight and very unfit and then enjoyed the culinary delights for a few months and became more overweight and no fitter.

After a couple of fun runs to try and address the problem, I stepped into Erika's team for a corporate triathlon in March 2007. From that point on I have not looked back, got progressivly fitter and managed to shed a fair bit of weight in the process which was great. This all culminated in me completing a half ironman in Geelong in February 2008, just a year after taking up the sport.

It was in the run up to that race and being part of a major achievement in so many people's lives that put the Ironman thought in my head, although originally I thought I would leave it for a few years before attempting that somewhat stupid challenge.

That didn't last long though, after leaving all of my triathlon buddies back in Australia I felt that I needed a major focus to help me stay committed to the training so decided that I would enter an Ironman for the following year.

These races are pretty hard to get in to and I had initially wanted to do Ironman Germany in Frankfurt but that was already fully booked so decided that I would go for Ironman Austria instead, the online entires opened a couple of days later and I managed to get an entry.

With the London triathlon to do in August I decided that I would get through that and then start planning out my training for the coming year, and come up with a plan for achieving this new goal

No comments:

Post a Comment