Sunday 31 August 2008

The Plan

How do you complete an Ironman?? I learnt a lot from doing a half Ironman, mainly that despite being confident of being able to complete the distances without too much trouble, stringing them all together on race day is pretty hard to do. I was pleased with my Geelong time, although in hindsight, I went a bit to fast on the bike, didn't concentrate enough on my nutrition whilst running and as a result had a real fight with my body for the last few k's!

Luckily there were plenty of people there to help me through the low points and I felt amazing to complete the race.

Those that have trained with me over the last year or so have probably picked up on some obsessive compulsive traits! For one thing, can no-one please challenge me to do anything stupid, who said that riding 1,000km in a week was a good idea? (done in 6 days for those who were not there to witness!). I also like my numbers and always keep track of exactly what training I have done. Part of the reason for writing this blog is for me to keep track of the training that I am doing, and also give some other people an idea of what I am up to.

So what do I want to achieve? Well, number 1 priority is to complete the event, 17 hours is the time limit so anything under that and I will be happy to be an Ironman.

I'm not too concerned about my time, there are so many things that can happen on the day that I don't want to put too much pressure on myself to achieve a particular time, although 12 hours is a nice round number that would be my ultimate goal for this one.

I've done plenty of research on how to train for these events and have already been bugging those people that have done an Ironman before for advice so am pretty confident that if I stick to my plan I should achieve my aims.

My training plan through to the end of this year is to basically work on my base fitness and get my endurance up, this means lots of long and relatively slow bike and run sessions, I want to be comfortable with running for 2.5hours and riding for 6 hours, as well as swimming with some consistency.

I know that I have the determination to achieve this, just needs some careful planning to fit it all in with work and other committments!

No comments:

Post a Comment