Sunday 31 August 2008

Training so far

Since entering th event in July (about 7 weeks ago), the numbers stack up as follows:

Swim - 15.5km (9.7 miles)
Bike - 1,075km (672 miles)
Run - 229km (143 miles)

This includes a 9 day period of complete rest. I've known some people who really struggle to do no training, I'm pleased to say that I am not yet that obsessed with being fit as I found it pretty easy to do nothing!

My ironman focussed training only started a couple of weeks ago and I am starting to build my endurance up from the distances that I am comfortable with so am currently running for 1hour 45 inutes and riding about 4 hours. I've also joined the gym next to work which has a 20m pool, not ideal but means that it is much easier to swim regularly which can only be a good thing for me.

My run today was pretty hard going, but got through to the end of 1hour 47 minutes, lesson learned was that I need to take more water out with me next time!

Tomorrow holds a ride down to Folkestone, my aim is to ride for 4 hours 15 mins and then do a slow 20 min jog straight off the bike. The ride down took me about 3hours 45 last time I did it so I will have to do a bit of a tour of the coast when I get down there to make up the time, I hope that the hill around Folkestone does not cauce me as many problems as last time (nearly fell off I was going so slowly), I may stop at the top and take some pictures this time to prove to all the people in Melbourne that England is a nice place!

1 comment:

  1. Rob,

    Just wanted to be the first to post a message to say good luck with all of the training. I'm very proud of all you have done so far and depite the fact that I'm never going to see you(!!!!), I'm really look forward to being your support crew through training and for the big day.

    I'll be there at the finish line with a really big chocolate milkshake and some peanut M&M's.

    Love Erika xxx

    ReplyDelete