Monday 8 September 2008

A week of English weather

I certainly know that I am back in England this week! I managed to fall of my bike on the way to work on Friday, I was turning into Greenwich park when my bike decided that it would have bit of a rest on the road so threw me there too! Luckily no major injuries, a couple of bumps and bruises and a bit of damaged pride but was able to do all the planned training over the weekend with no trouble.

Saturday's plan was for a 4.5 hour ride followed by a 20 min run straight off the bike. Weather forecast was foul but luckily it didn't turn out quite so bad, had a few downpours to contend with and after Fridays incident I was taking it pretty steady on the downhill parts which slowed my overall speed for the ride down a bit but it pretty much went to plan. I rode down towards Hastings on the A21 and discovered that the hill down from Sevenoaks to Tonbridge seems a lot steeper on the way back up than it does on the way down! My 20 min run off the bike was fine this week, took it really steady and felt ok, much better than last week. Hopefully this should show the elevation profile of my ride this week, certainly not many flat bits!




Erika & Debbie were running a 5k race in Hyde park on Sunday so I decided that I would run from home into London and meet them there to give some support and then get the train home. Weather forecast was much better for today so I was looking forward to the planned 1hour 50 minute run when I opened the front door to be faced with a torrential downpour. Back inside for the rain jacket and off I went, the first 30 minutes or so were foul, my run goes up and over Shooters Hill which was like running up a waterfall so not very pleasant!

The weather improved as the run went on and I felt fine the whole way. The plan is for these runs to be at an easy pace and today I certainly felt like I could have kept going. I decided to stick to my planned time though so finished the run here:


which was pretty cool, also enjoyed coming along other part of London with less people around than during the week. Ended up running pretty much half marathon distance and then spent the couple of hours walking round watching the women's 5k race at Hyde park.

Distance totals for this week were:

Swim - 5km (3.1 miles)
Bike - 305.5km (190.9 miles)
Run - 51.4km (32.1 miles)

I have a race next weekend and am looking forward to that, hoping that I can overcome some of the issues I had over the Olympic distance last time out.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Rob! It's definitely tough motivating yourself to keep on training, especially if you're doing any of it on your own...

    I've decided to have a go at Ironman WA next year, so I'll have all that training to look forward to!

    Cheers,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete