Monday 26 January 2009

My first ever 'race' win

Ok, so not strictly a race but I did post the fastest time at the 4km time trial that I did on Saturday morning. I think I was helped by the fact that they started using two waves with anyone who hadn't done it before starting 30 seconds after those that had. That meant that as I was allowed to go I had plenty of people to chase down.

There were 44 people in the event and I set of at the front of the second group. By the 1km mark I had caught and passed all but about 5 of the other runners that started in front of me then I set about trying to catch the others. Not having done any sort of speed work for a few months it was pretty tough going and felt a bit strange to have my heart rate so high after all the long slow running and biking. I got up to 3rd and could see the two guys in front but wasn't making much of an impression. I had an extra 30 seconds and knew that I would be at least second but it would be close for first. Went as hard as I could and crossed the line in 16.09, would have liked to have been a bit quicker but overall was happy.

Checked the times with the timekeeper and luckily for me, without anyone challenging him the guy at the front came in on 16.10.

Here's the proof:

http://www.sherunsheruns.co.uk/timetrial/index.cfm?event=page.race&race_id=1618

Not a real win as looking at the other guys previous times I'm sure he would have gone quicker if I was on his shoulder but is a nice ego boost all the same!

Plus I bet he didn't then go out and do a 5.5 hour ride afterwards! I had another good week of training hitting all of my sessions, I'll post some details of my week once I've updated my training log.

No comments:

Post a Comment