Tuesday 6 January 2009

6 Months to go

Today marks exactly 6 months to go until Austria, still quite some time but given that it is 6 months since I entered I suspect that it will go pretty quickly.

Training over the last couple of weeks has been a bit indifferent, the illness lasted a good couple of weeks so Christmas week meant almost no training at all, slightly different to my experience last year where I rode 1,000km during Christmas week including 200km on Christmas morning!

This week was scheduled for a recovery week and I managed to get out and do most of those session, no swimming but a good amount of running and riding and am now feeling much better so back into a full week this week.

The weather has been cold so I decided against going out for my long ride on Saturday, everything was still frosty at 9am and maximum temperature was scheduled to be 1 degree so thought it safer to do my session on the indoor trainer. Loaded up the DVD player and lined up the Gatorade and powerbars on the kitchen side and got on with spending4 hours on the bike. I've not done more than 90 minutes on the windtrainer before and 4 hours was certainly a mental challenge (i.e. very boring!!). It gives a good opportunity to focus on the effort and I tried to keep my heart rate nice and even for the whole time, but my legs were certainly feeling it towards the end, sadly no downhill sections or traffic light stops to give your legs a rest so it was probably a fair bit tougher than a 4 hour ride outside.

I am also an amazing sweat machine when I am on a windtrainer so after 4 hours I was very pleased to get off and get changed for a quick 20 min run.

Did a slow 2 hour run on Sunday morning in the freezing cold, -2 when I left but was a good run, not huge distance covered but felt pretty easy. Had a rest day today to make sure that I recovered properly form the weekend, although this was the scene that greeted me this morning so probably good that I didn't have too much planned!I'm off work this week so hopefully it should be pretty easy to fit the training in. Work will get extra busy over the next couple of months so fitting the training in is going to be a real challenge, my plan is to do my sessions in the morning and not schedule anything for the evenings so that I can get my work done, hopefully by the time the weather warms up work will start to get under control again as I do my last few months of training.

December training totals are down on previous months due to my complete rest week at the start of the month and the missed sessions due to my illness last week:

  • Swim 13.0km (8.1miles) - 4 hours 44 min
  • Bike 485.4km (303.4miles) - 18 hours 50 minutes
  • Run 127.5km (79.7 miles) - 11 hours 23 minutes
  • Gym time = 1 hour 47 min

Total Training time = 36 hours 44 minutes

Since entering Ironman Austria totals are as follows (to 31 December 2008):

  • Swim 95.9km (59.9miles) - 36 hours 27 mins
  • Bike 4,340.2km (2,712.6miles) - 163hours 47 mins
  • Run 1,053.9 km (658.7 miles) - 91 hours 7 mins

Total training time 291 hours 22 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment