Thursday 4 December 2008

Swim Video Analysis

I did a swim video analysis in an endless pool last week. As I don't get the chance to train with a squad or get any coaching over here, I thought it would be a good idea to get a few pointers to help me improve my efficiency.

I know that I am fit enough to cover the Ironman swim distance but I am certainly not very fast! So the aim was to try and get a few key things to work on that would mean that I go as fast for less effort or faster for the same effort. Given that the swim only accounts for about 10% of the Ironman race, the main goal for me is to climb out of the water feeling nice and fresh, not like I have just had to fight my way round.

Here are a couple of videos that they took, the first was my swimming when I turned up the second one is at the end of the session. Not vastly different but I definitely got what I wanted out of the session, plenty of tips to try and make me glide through the water rather than sink like a brick!

The key things I am going to take away and work on are my kick which was going much to deep into the pool and therefore meaning that I was dragging my legs along a bit and also the tiing of my stroke which is much better in the second clip than the first. Really enjoyed the session though, is pretty weird watching yourself swimming (they have a mirror in the bottom of the pool!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, can I ask where you did the video analysis?, if you rated the experience? and roughly how much it cost pls ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it at Swim for Tri (www.swimfortri.com) which was then in Brick Lane in London. I think they have now closed that location but still have an endless pool at Canary Wharf.

    I thought it was really useful, I don't have a swim squad that I can fit into my schedule so don't really get any coaching but compared to coached sessions before you get so much more valuable feedback. They also show you videos of how it should be done and it makes much more sense.

    The 1 hour session was £60 which I thought was ok value as I don't see the need to have this done all that often, it gave me plenty of things to go away and work on.

    ReplyDelete