Monday 22 December 2008

Finding my limits!

Didn't have the best week of training last week, had to miss a couple of sessions due to being busy at work and us taking Monday to do all of our Christmas shopping. Was all ready to go for a big weekend though and with the weather forecast to be an unseasonally mild 12 degrees I was quite looking forward to both my long ride and long run.

The general philosophy that I've been trying to follow with my training is that you push your body pretty hard and then give it time to recover, hopefully it builds itself back stronger than it started. The problem with this is that there is a bit of a balancing act between not tearing yourself to bits. So far I've been pretty good, this weekend however I failed miserably!!

I think I pushed just a bit beyond my boundaries and that resulted in me feeling absolutely terrible on Sunday night and this morning. I knew I was struggling when I was reduced to a real shuffle at the end of my long run and had to come home and eat most of a box of cadbury heroes that Erika had whilst collapsed on the stairs, I needed some sugar!

I'll try and put this one down to experience, hopefully I can learn to recognise the signs that it is all coming undone a bit sooner next time! Am having a complete rest day today and hopefully with a bit more sleep I should feel ok again tomorrow.

I'm now off work for 3 weeks over Christmas, am hoping that I do not suffer any longer term effects from this weekend.

I have a massage booked for this afternoon and I have a feeling that my legs could be a bit sore, although hopefully that will help to remove some of the waste in my muscles.

1 comment:

  1. I have read some of your posts. I would like to revisit here, as I like your writings.

    If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs would be refreshing one.

    And if you wish to send flowers to your beloveds, then try to send it through my site.

    Naval Langa
    http://navallanga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete